Youth Development Program
Youth is the backbone of the country and a strong catalyst of social development. Education is important for them, but not everyone, adults have the same opportunity in term of education. Youths from poor families and those living in the rural area have less opportunity to get higher education because of some reasons includes poverty, tradition, security (for women).
Caritas‘s Youth Development Program which has started since 1992 provides vocational training, technical skills for the youth (boys and girls).
Every year, the program provides various professional skills with professional trainers. The program’s main purpose is to make youth become a productive human resource and to giving hope for job opportunity. Obtaining skills, knowledge from the program shall bring them bright future.
|The program is concerned on addressing the problems of youth in Cambodia. Besides, the skill training, values education has been provided. Youth Club is also formed and play very vital role for the youth. It serves as a youth forum, discuss the uses, find employment opportunities for the youth and plan to take up activities and organize training on social issues. The program mainly focuses on:|
- Providing technique and professional skills in different trades.
- Provide values education
- Strengthening the roles and responsibilities of the youth club for development
- Provide accommodation for the trainers whose families are very poor from the rural area to enable them to attend the training courses
- Promote cultural activities(Traditional Cambodian Art) among the youth and relation with the families
- Develop and networking with the youths who has been employed and those who are studying
- Promote the youths to become an instrument of peace , justice, hope and the light to build the nation that nurtures and nourished human values
- Networking with the government and other NGOs for assess the training need for youth development skill and knowledge.
During the courses, students have involved with different activities in participating workshop, campaigns or forum discussion on various topics. Students are also designed to contribute their time during the national or big event of the year. The center also provides to the students bicycles as means of transportation to different workshops.
Accommodation is provided to students from far provinces in order to enable them to attend the training. The accommodation facilities are available for at least 40 percent of the total number and provided to the most extremely poor youth especially young girls. An accommodation building for girls and boys has been separated. The accommodation facility has been developed based on the evaluation of the year 2006, and based on the needs and condition of the poorest youth who attend the course. The accommodation is provided only to the most extremely poor families especially female students.
Number of youths trained on various skills over the last 16 years